You’ll see three short courses. You have to decide which is the SHORTEST (not fastest!), as quickly as possible. You have a maximum of 20 seconds to decide.
Desktop computer or laptop.
This stage is based on the “Course Choice” method used in the knock-out sprint, which becomes a World Championship discipline at this year’s (???) WOC. It’s designed to be a fair way of making competitors take different routes, which reduces the chance of athletes simply following the person ahead.
The website we’ll use has been created by Ben Brown for this Lockdown Orienteering competition. You don’t need to register, but we recommend that you play the warm-up games before playing the actual stage.
You can play three warm-up games before moving on to the real thing.
The stage will be available from 00:01 BST on Friday 24th April.
You’ll see ten sets of three courses. For each set, choose the course that you think is the shortest (not fastest!). You have 20 seconds to make your decision!
At the end you’ll be ranked by:
- firstly, how often you chose the shortest route
- then, the total time you took to choose your routes
You need to be quick!
When you’re ready to play:
- Go to this link.
- Enter your competition number. Your name should appear.
- Select Start.
- When you finish, your score is automatically recorded.
You MUST complete this stage by 20:00 BST on Saturday 25th April.
After the stage has closed, we’ll publish the shortest routes so you can see whether you got them right!
If you have any issues, please contact us.
We’ll rank everyone’s scores in order. First place gets 1000 points, second place 999 points, third place 998 points, and so on. If you miss the deadline for completing the stage, you’ll lose 50 points (unless your lateness is caused by the organisers).
Big thanks to our sponsors:
- CompassPoint – orienteering equipment
- JWOC 2021 – providing maps for the Sprint Weekend
- Mitchell Maps – the official UK OCAD reseller. You can get 20% off OCAD subscriptions until the end of May plus free support when you buy through Mitchell Maps
- Sprint Scotland – sprint racing and training in Scotland
- Forest Challenge Game – orienteering board game
- Catching Features – offering a 40% discount to all competitors