You have to complete the course as quickly as possible.
Desktop computer or laptop with separate mouse.
If you’re taking part in our Catching Features knock-out competition, please see the separate page with further information.
Some tips on how to play Catching Features:
- Use a separate mouse
- Hold the space bar to look at the map while running
- Press 1 to zoom in and 2 to zoom out
- Press R to focus the map on your current leg
- Press W to move the map up, S to move it down, A left, and D right
- Hold alt while running to jump – this can be helpful if you get stuck and can’t move!
- Press right mouse button to run backwards (slowly)
- Paths can be hard to see
- It’s difficult to relocate, so stay in contact with the map
- Practice helps! Catching Features definitely gets easier after you’ve played on a few different maps
Go into Competition mode in Catching Features and choose a sprint!
The stage will be available from 00:01 BST on Friday 24th April.
If you are taking part in the knock-out competition, DO NOT race the courses in competition mode as detailed below.
Fair play: To make it a fair competition, you must only do the course once – your first go is the one that counts!
|Area||Somewhere in Africa|
|Planner||Graeme Ackland – World Champs 2022 Planner|
|Assistant Planner||Chris Smithard|
|CF Map Maker||Color|
|Map specification||ISSOM 2007|
|Courses||Course A – longer and harder|
Course B – shorter and easier
Start with Course A. If you find it too hard, stop and go to Course B. You cannot do Course B and then Course A.
You’ll be ranked by:
- firstly, which course you complete – everyone who completes Course A will be ranked above those who complete Course B
- then, the total time you take to complete the course
If you’re playing individually, then, when you’re ready to play:
- Open Catching Features and select Competitions.
- Select Lockdown-O – Round 2 – Course A or Course B (only available from 00:01 BST on Friday 24th April).
- Complete the course, as quickly as you can!
- Submit your course and time via our results website.
You MUST complete this stage AND submit your time by 20:00 BST on Saturday 25th April.
Submitting your time makes our lives easier and means that we can produce the overall results more quickly 🙂
If you have any issues, please contact us.
We’ll rank everyone’s results in order. First place gets 1000 points, second place 999 points, third place 998 points, and so on. If you miss the deadline for submitting your time, you’ll lose 50 points (unless your lateness is caused by the organisers).
Big thanks to our sponsors:
- CompassPoint – orienteering equipment
- JWOC 2021 – providing maps for the Sprint Weekend
- Mitchell Maps – the official UK OCAD reseller. You can get 20% off OCAD subscriptions until the end of May plus free support when you buy through Mitchell Maps
- Sprint Scotland – sprint racing and training in Scotland
- Forest Challenge Game – orienteering board game
- Catching Features – offering a 40% discount to all competitors